The Sandman is an upcoming dark fantasy series to be produced on Netflix loosely based on Neil Gaiman's DC Comic series of the same name. Netflix has contracted for an 11-episode series order. Allan Heinberg will serve as showrunner. Gaiman will be executive producer along with David Goyer. The series will be set in 2021, the gender of The Sandman could also be up for debate according to Gaiman.
A rich blend of modern myth and dark fantasy in which contemporary fiction, historical drama and legend are seamlessly interwoven, The Sandman follows the people and places affected by Morpheus, the Dream King, as he mends the cosmic--and human--mistakes he's made during his vast existence.
- Tom Sturridge as Dream
- Gwendoline Christie as Lucifer Morningstar
- Vivienne Acheampong as Lucienne
- Boyd Holbrook as The Corinthian
- Charles Dance as Roderick Burgess
- Asim Chaudry as Abel
- Sanjeev Bhaskar as Cain
- TBA as John Hathaway
- Kirby Howell-Baptiste as Death
- Mason Alexander Park as Desire
- Donna Preston as Despair
- Jenna Coleman as Johanna Constantine and Joanna Constantine
- Joely Richardson as Ethel Cripps
- Niamh Walsh as young Ethel Cripps
- David Thewlis as John Dee
- Kyo Ra as Rose Walker
- Stephen Fry as Gilbert
- Razane Jammal as Lyta Hall
- Sandra James Young as Unity Kinkaid
- Patton Oswalt as Matthew The Raven
- On July 1, 2019, The Sandman received an 11-episode series order from Netflix.
- The series was slated to start filming at the end of May 2020 but production was delayed amid the Covid-19 pandemic, during which time Audible released an audiobook version of The Sandman voiced by Riz Ahmed and James McAvoy among others with Neil Gaiman narrating almost every single chapter (with "Tales in the Sand" as the exception since it's a standalone story where no one from the regular cast performs, save for the announcer).
- The series was set resumed production around October 2020. Following this, it was announced that filming for the series began on October 15, 2020.
- Netflix Orders ‘The Sandman’ Series Based On Neil Gaiman’s DC Comic – Update - Deadline
- Neil Gaiman offers an update on Netflix's TV version of The Sandman - Digital Spy
- Neil Gaiman’s ‘The Sandman’ Casts Tom Sturridge, Gwendoline Christie, Vivienne Acheampong, Boyd Holbrook, Charles Dance, Asim Chaudhry And Sanjeev Bhaskar - Deadline
- ‘The Sandman’: Kirby Howell-Baptiste, Mason Alexander Park & Donna Preston Among 12 Added To Netflix Series - Deadline
- 'The Sandman's' Latest Castings - and the Stories Behind Them - Netflix